The following list includes the most important and relevant articles from Microsoft about Shell Namespace Extension programming and about how they relate to CBFS Shell concepts:
- CommonExplorer Concepts covers the IDL / PIDL concept. CBFS Shell also uses PIDLs to identify Shell items as this is a mandatory mechanism, but it does this through the easy to use .NET classes: ShellItemId and ShellItemIdList, which are available in the callback.CBFSShell.dll assembly.
- Understanding Shell Namespace Extensions is a must read, even for CBFS Shell users as it explains the general Shell concepts.
- Implementing the Basic Folder Object Interfaces is another introduction, but it is focused on Shell Namespace Extensions.
- Specifying a Namespace Extension's Location explains junction points.
- Using the search Protocol details the Search protocol.
- Windows Property System introduces the Windows Property System.
- How to Display a Rooted View of a File explains the registry setup for virtual files.
Note: Many other articles available on the Internet from Microsoft on Shell Namespace Extensions are not listed here because their subject matter is covered elsewhere by CBFS Shell or the information is not directly applicable when you use CBFS Shell and its out-of-process architecture.